Dr. Hughes's Curriculum Vitae
Dr. Kenneth Hughes is a Harvard-educated, Harvard-trained Plastic Surgeon in Los Angeles
Board Certification, 2012, American Board of Plastic Surgery
AAAASF Fully Accredited Surgery Center in Los Angeles
Office Phone: 310-275-4170
Office Address: 12732 W. Washington Blvd, Suite B, Los Angeles, CA 90066
Secondary School Education
Graduated at top of class from a highly selective private school (Randolph School) (06 / 1995)
Secondary School Awards and Honors
§ Selected, early admittance, for Harvard University
§ GPA of 4.61 in an Advanced Preparatory (AP) curriculum
§ Athletic participation: swimming, karate, shotput, and discus
o Ranked in top 3 in city and state swimming: freestyle, back stroke, and butterfly
o First degree black belt and Universal Taekwondo Association tournament champion for the Association
o Won / set records in all meets from 1993 through 1995 in shotput and discus. State champion/record holder in both events for 1993-1995. Southeastern Record Holder in Shotput.
o National Silver Medalist in Shotput and Discus in 1994, Ranked #3 nationally in shotput in 1995
Secondary School Publications
1. Kenneth Hughes, Art Hughes, Dan Walther, Brian Bender, “Battlefield Ammunition Supply and Distribution Presentation”, Presentation to Defense Materiel Management Center, 08 / 1993.
2. Kenneth Hughes, Dan Walther, Arthur Hughes, Brian Bender, “Battlefield Ammunition Supply and Distribution Simulation”, Science and Engineering Apprenticeship Program, 08 / 1993, Volume: VII.
3. Kenneth Hughes, Jeff Lee, Brian Bender, Robert Pelc, “Battlefield Ammunition Supply and Distribution Graphical User Interface”, Science and Engineering Apprenticeship Program, 08 / 1992, Volume: VI.
09 / 1995 through 06 / 1999
BA, cum laude in Biology
Undergraduate Awards and Honors
§ Harvard College Merit Scholarship 1995-1999
§ Varsity Letterman in Track and Field (shotput and discus) 1995-1999
§ Perennial conference finalist
§ #6 all time in shotput for Harvard
Kenneth Hughes, “Endoatmospheric Interceptor Analysis Report”, Endoatmospheric Interceptor Program Office, Army Space and Missile Defense Command, 09 / 1998, Pages: 1-350.
University of Alabama School of Medicine
07/1999 through 06/2004
MD, cum laude
Medical School Honors, Awards, and Associations
§ Scored 99% on Steps 1 and 2 of licensing boards
§ Member of Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) (top 10 in medical school)
§ 2000-2004 State Merit Scholarship- top 10 students in state
§ 2003-2004 Ann Margaret-Clark Merit Scholarship
§ 2002-2003 Clarence-Clapper Merit Scholarship
§ 2000-2002 Madison County Scholarship- #1 student
§ 2000-2001 Russell Merit Scholarship
Medical School Publications and Presentations
1. Hughes, Kenneth. “Combinatorial Cytokine Therapy in Murine Neuroblastoma Model.” NIH Research Scholars Program, 09 / 2000.
2. Hughes, Kenneth. “Nitric Oxide and Its Effects on the Endothelium” – UASOM symposium, 1999.
Residency – Integrated General Surgery and Plastic Surgery Residency (1 of 70 slots in United States)
University of Kansas Medical Center, Integrated Plastic Surgery Program,
07/ 2004 to 06 / 2010
Plastic Surgery Residency Presentations and Publications
Dr. Kenneth B. Hughes and W. Thomas Lawrence. “Scars and Scar Revision.” Aesthetic And Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, 2nd edition, James Grotting, MD, ed. 2006.
Parker JN, Meleth S, Hughes, Dr. Kenneth B, Gillespie GY, Whitley RJ, Markert JM.
“Enhanced Inhibition of Syngeneic Murine Tumors by Combinatorial Therapy with Genetically Engineered HSV-1 expressing CCL2 and IL-12.” Cancer Gene Therapy; April, 2005.
Dr. Kenneth Hughes, and Selim, Niazy M. “The Lateral Paramedian: Revisiting a Forgotten Incision.” The American Surgeon” , Volume 75, Number 4, April 2009,
Hughes, Dr. Kenneth, Korentager, Richard. “The Effect of Radiation on Complication, Reoperation, and Capsular Contracture Rates in Implant-Based Breast Reconstruction with the Introduction of Skin-Sparing Mastectomy (SSM) Techniques.” ASPS Senior Resident’s Conference. January 2010.
Dr. Kenneth Hughes – Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds presentations on Blepharoplasty, Abdominoplasty, Liposuction, and Facelift in 2010
Dr. Kenneth Hughes – General Surgery Grand Rounds presentations on Skin and Skin Neoplasms in 2006
Plastic Surgery Residency Achievements
Dr. Kenneth Hughes scored in top 10 percent on national general surgery inservice exam in 2006
Dr. Kenneth Hughes selected as only 5th year resident in the history of the program for the resident cosmetic clinic 2008-2009
Dr. Kenneth Hughes selected as Chief Resident 2009-2010
Dr. Kenneth Hughes scored in top 10 percent on national plastic surgery inservice exam in 2010
Dr. Kenneth Hughes performed over 2000 procedures during residency
Dr. Kenneth Hughes performed over 500 cosmetic surgeries during residency/fellowship
Dr. Kenneth Hughes Accepted to Harvard Medical School Plastic Surgery Fellowship, July 2010 to July 2011
Dr. Kenneth Hughes Selected as Junior Professor, Harvard Medical School, July 2010 to July 2011
Harvard Medical School Fellowship Presentations and Awards
ASPS National Meeting 2010 presentation contributor — Suction Lipectomy for Lymphedema
National Anesthesia Meeting 2010 presentation contributor — Office Safety in Cosmetic Surgery
National presentation contributor, How Radiation Influences Choices of Breast Reconstruction
National presentation contributor, The Harvard Experience: Immediate versus Delayed Reconstruction in the Mastectomy Patient
National presentation contributor, Telemedicine in the Management of Postoperative Plastic Surgery Patients
Grand Rounds Presentation May 2011, Lessons Learned During Fellowship
Grand Rounds Presentation on Office Safety in Cosmetic Surgery
Selected to Grand Rounds Mentorship Program at ASPS in Toronto 2010
Awarded Research Grant for Clinical Trial for TigrMatrix in pocket creation for implant-based breast reconstruction conducted at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School
Radiation in Implant-Based Breast Reconstruction International presentation
Presenter of Safety for the Office Staff: Aesthetic Plastic Surgery for ISOBS
Presenter of Choosing the Right Anesthesia for Your Patient for ISOBS
Grant Recipient for Choosing the Right Anesthesia for Your Patient
Presenter at 52nd Annual Meeting of the New England Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons.Telemedicine: Risks, Benefits, and Pitfalls in the Postoperative Care of Plastic Surgery Patients and Review of the Literature
Invited Speaker Body Contouring after Massive Weight Loss, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, March 2011
Peer Reviewer for Public Library of Science (PLoS ONE)
Institute for Safety in Office-Based Surgery (ISOBS) consultant
Dr. Kenneth Hughes’s More Recent Publications
Dr. Kenneth Hughes, MD. “Photography in Aesthetic Head and Neck Surgery.” Aesthetic Head and Neck Surgery, 2nd Edition, Thomas A. Mustoe, MD and Samuel J. Lin, MD, eds. 2010.
Dr. Kenneth Hughes, MD. “Preoperative Evaluation in Aesthetic Head and Neck Surgery.” Aesthetic Head and Neck Surgery. 2nd Edition, Thomas A. Mustoe, MD and Samuel J. Lin, MD, eds. 2010.
Dr. Kenneth Hughes. “Facelift.” Pearls in Plastic Surgery, 2nd edition. Samuel J. Lin, MD, ed. 2010.
Dr. Kenneth B. Hughes. “Fat Grafting.” Aesthetic Atlas. Samuel J. Lin, MD, ed. 2011.
Dr. Kenneth B. Hughes, MD. “Fillers.” Pearls in Plastic Surgery, 2nd edition. Samuel J. Lin, MD, ed. 2010.
Dr. Kenneth Hughes, et al. “Desmoid Tumors of the Bilateral Breasts in a Patient without Gardner’s Syndrome: A Case Report and Review of the Literature.” Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2011.
Ibrahim AM, Ayeni OA, Hughes, Kenneth, Slavin SA, Lin SJ. Dermal Matrices in Breast Surgery: A Comprehensive Review. Ann Plast Surg
Dr. Kenneth Hughes, MD, Lin, Samuel, MD, and Sumner Slavin, MD. “Telemedicine: Risks, Benefits, and Pitfalls in the Postoperative Care of Plastic Surgery Patients and Review of the Literature.”
Ibrahim AM, Nguyen JT, Hughes, Kenneth, Patel PP, Lee BT, Lin SJ, Slavin SA. Professional Courtesy in Plastic Surgery. Presented at the 53rd Annual Meeting of the New England Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons. Woodstock, Vermont (June 2, 2012)
Dr. Kenneth Hughes, Brown C, Perez V, Ting JW, Rozen WM, Whitaker IS, Korentager R. “The effect of radiotherapy on implant-based breast reconstruction in the setting of skin-sparing mastectomy: clinical series and review of complications.” Anticancer Res. 2012 Feb;32(2):553-7.
Dr. Kenneth Hughes, Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon, Current Practice Parameters
– perform full spectrum of plastic surgical procedures including
– endoscopic, coronal, direct and temporal brow lift, internal brow pexy
– face and neck lift, facelift revision
– facial fat grafting
– upper and lower eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
– rhinoplasty, both closed and open, revision rhinoplasty
– chin implant (intraoral, with no scar) or under the chin scar
– otoplasty to fix prominent ears or reduce ear size
– breast augmentation including TUBA (through the belly button), periareolar, transxillary (armpit), and IMF (inframammary fold)
– breast lift (mastopexy, all variants including donut or Benelli breast lift, vertical or lollipop breast lift, and anchor or full breast lift)
– breast reduction
– breast augmentation revision or correction
– breast reconstruction (post-mastectomy, constricted breast, Poland’s)
– inverted nipple correction
– pectoral implants
– arm lift (brachioplasty)
– body lift – (lower body lift, upper body lift, bra-line back lift)
– thigh lift (thighplasty)
– liposuction, liposculpture, liposuction revision
– Bodytite for skin and tissue tightening without the scars
– Brazilian butt lift or BBL
– Butt implant surgery
– Sculptra buttlift
– Mommy Makeover
– Silicone, Biopolymer, PMMA, and Hydrogel Removal from Buttocks, Face, Legs, Hips and Reconstruction of Those areas
– tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)
– labial rejuvenation (labiaplasty)
– vaginal rejuvenation (vaginaplasty)
– calf implants or fat transfer to the calves